First Hike



Just this year, I got busy in a new activity which is mountaineering. Influenced by my friend Nhykie, I was hooked and did hiking twice every month. I just stopped this month though in preparation of the school year. Anyhow, why did I call it formal? I called it as such because it was planned and a sole agenda, not just a side trip as part of a tour (which I had when I was in Anawangin, my mother mountain).

I did prepare for this, I got new shoes, washed my bag, borrowed a tent, bought some things etc. etc. Also, I don't have a buddy when I joined the group, though I knew almost all of them, they have buddies, I'm just an adventurous soloist. =))

The location is Mt. Gulugod Baboy at Mabini Batangas. It is also called the Teletubby land because the setting is just like the one in Teletubbies. Difficulty level is 2/9 and is a minor hike. You may find more information on this site for the specs of the hike.

So what do you expect for a first time hiker? It was hard for me of course, also because there's a paved road part on the way up to reach the foot of the mountain. I don't like that one, it felt like in just a snap I could roll all the way down to where I started. There are houses on the way which sells refreshments or have comfort rooms  which one can use in exchange for donations.

Toblerone girls. Toblerone is our energy booster, oh plus the jellyace.




I don't know much of the details of the hike more so how to get there, I just tagged along and sweat out. It was also my first time to stay overnight atop a mountain. I did not have a good sleep, it didn't even last for hours due to the weather. The wind shake and tested our tent even though we're in the second level of defense! (Haha! I got that word from Lieo). The pegs come off every time and I did not bring along a thick jacket so I was really struggling and shaking all night. Add up the uneven ground where we posted, I was sliding from time to time. My new friend Ate Joeanne was worried (but laughing) because I was shaking, she was also my tent-mate. Wahaha! What a word, but you get it! My suggestion: drink alcohol, not just it will heat up your body, it will also put you straight to sleep. Tanggera lang ang peg!






The wind is still growling when we woke up. We catch the sunrise and took pictures of course. I was also surprised that time to see a road on the other side of the mountain, like whut?! Why did it even exist? Seeing so many cows and their sh*t is acceptable but a road? A paved-road?! It's proven accessible because a vehicle is passing by when we saw it. Sana dun nalang kami dumaan diba? Haha! Anyway, that's why it's hiking, it should be the hard way. Right after breakfast we break our camp and got off.  It's a good 2 hour trek on the way up and same as down.

Before we left Batangas, we took a dip at a resort just in front of the jump-off point for a quick heat-beater. It's also to make use of their shower rooms.

That day ended with a trigger on my head to start discovering mountains. It's not just accessible, it is also a cheap activity. You'll meet new friends, you'll see amazing views and you'll be one with nature. It's not just good for the body, it is also good for the mind and soul. Plus, you'll experience body pain once in a while. =)) I got lots of those when I came home and that gave me the benefit of Sick Leave the next day. Oha! Joke!

Ate  Arlene on her way down


That's all for now,

Ciao!

*All pictures in this post are not mine and were grabbed from Ate Sarah.

Comments

Popular Posts